Activities for Children & Young People
Please check back here regularly as some services will be introduced, changed or restarted over the next few weeks and months
Children and young people are an integral part of the work of Hope Corner.
The following activities are currently in operation:
- Homework Club for Y6+ – (Tuesdays / Thursdays during term time) – see sessions details below
- Fixation Theatre for 4-18s – (Thursdays during term time; 4pm-7pm) – see sessions details below
- Art Class – (Fridays during term time) – see session details below
- Irish Dancing (Mondays during term time; 5.15pm-6.15pm
Fixation Theatre is an exciting new emerging theatre company based in North London and surrounding areas, which creates opportunities for young people to participate in theatre and learn skills associated with expressive arts in a safe, conducive environment, including drama, dance, singing and film. Affordable sessions have been provided for children aged 4-18 on Thursday afternoon / evening. The group has added a third session due to its popularity.
- 4-6 year-olds (Thursday 4pm-5pm)
- 7-11 year-olds (Thursday 5pm-6pm)
- 11+ group (Thursday 6pm-7pm)
Low educational attainment of children and young people in an area where there are exclusive, high-achieving secondary schools has resulted in poor economic prospects for many young people.
Using the facilities at Hope Corner and expertise drawn from local organisations, BCA is providing extra-curricular assistance through the establishment of a homework club (assisting up to 10 children in any one session). Anne Pegum, formerly of Barnet College, is leading the teaching part of the project.
- Tuesdays – 3.30pm-5.30pm
- Thursdays – 3.30pm-5.30pm
We are also running tutoring sessions to help students catch up on Mathematics. Please contact the manager at Hope Corner for more details
Local artist Elaine Kelso has led informal art classes for both children and adults. The Art Club at Hope Corner has run for a couple of years (outside of lockdown) every Friday and is a fun, creative outlet for children of junior/primary school age.
- Fridays – 3.30pm-4.30pm